Descendants 2 is a Disney Channel Original Movie and the sequel to the 2015 film Descendants. It has been written by Josann McGibbon and Sara Parriott, who also serve as executive producers on the project. The film was directed by Kenny Ortega, who also served as executive producer and choreographer. It premiered on July 21, 2017.
The story deepens in the music-driven sequel to the global smash hit Descendants, as the teenage sons and daughters of Disney's most famous villains — Mal, Evie, Carlos, and Jay (also known as Villain Kids, or VKs) — try to find their place in idyllic Auradon. When the pressure to be royally perfect becomes too much for Mal, she returns to her rotten roots on the Isle of the Lost where her archenemy Uma, the daughter of Ursula, has taken her spot as self-proclaimed queen of the run-down town. Uma, still resentful over not being selected by Ben to go to Auradon Prep with the other Villain Kids, stirs her pirate gang including Captain Hook's son Harry and Gaston's son Gil, to break the barrier between the Isle of the Lost and Auradon, and unleash all the villains imprisoned on the Isle, once and for all. 
Mal struggles with her new celebrity life as the girlfriend of King Ben, putting a spell on her hair making it blonde, and uncomfortably maintains a princess-like personality. She confides her issues in her friends Evie, Carlos, and Jay, but they are content with their new lives in Auradon and do not wish to return to the Isle of the Lost. Evie scolds Mal for relying on her mother's spell book to solve her issues. Carlos, wishing to ask Jane to the upcoming Cotillion dance, turns to Mal for help with honesty. Mal gives him a sweet that will make him speak the truth, but his dog, Dude, eats it, magically speaking the blunt truth in English.
Ben eventually discovers Mal's reliance on magic during a date, and she comes clean about her insecurities, causing a falling-out. Mal returns to the Isle, now ruled by her former rival Uma, Ursula's daughter, along with Harry and Gil, the sons of Captain Hook and Gaston. Mal visits hairstylist Dizzy Tremaine, Drizella's daughter, who restores her signature purple hair, remarking that she felt that Mal's blonde hair was unnatural. Harry discovers Mal's return and informs Uma.
Ben, Evie, Jay, and Carlos learn of Mal's departure and sneak onto the Isle to find her, but Gil recognizes them. Ben confronts Mal, who rejects his feelings for what she thought was both his sake and Auradon's. Ben leaves dejected, only to be captured by Uma. Mal and Uma arm wrestle for Ben and Fairy Godmother's wand, which Uma wins. Uma then orders Mal and her friends to retrieve the Fairy Godmother's wand or Ben dies. Carlos and Jay return to Auradon Prep, where they create a replica of the wand using a 3D printer. They are caught by Lonnie, Mulan's daughter, who blackmails them into letting her come, having previously been rejected from Jay's sports team based on her gender.
Uma speaks with Ben, bitter that she and the others were not chosen to go to Auradon. Ben takes this into account and invites her to Auradon, but Uma instead plots to make her own way there. Mal's group return, handing over the fake wand in exchange for Ben, but Uma realizes the forgery. The group flee back to Auradon, but Mal and Ben's relationship is still rocky. The villains' children come to terms that they cannot run from their pasts and agree to be honest with themselves and each other. Carlos confesses to Jane but struggles a little bit, while Jay appoints Lonnie as the captain of his team.
Aboard a ship during the Cotillion, Ben stuns everyone by appearing with Uma, who he declares as his true love and announces he will destroy the barrier on the Isle. Jane unveils a stained glass display Ben commissioned to show his affection for Mal, who realizes he loved her for who she was all along. Suspecting Uma has given him a love potion, Mal confesses her love for Ben and kisses him, breaking the spell. Enraged, Uma leaps into the water using Ursula's magic seashell to transform into an octopus, and Mal fights back as a dragon. Ben intervenes, quelling the battle, and Uma returns the ring that Ben had originally given her when he had declared her as his true love. She leaves, despite his offer still standing.
Mal and Ben reunite, with Mal surrendering her spell book to the Fairy Godmother. Evie requests that Dizzy be allowed to attend Auradon Prep, and when Dizzy is offered, she excitedly accepts. In a mid-credits scene, Uma addresses the audience, promising that the story is not over, just like the ending of the first movie.
- Dove Cameron as Mal, daughter of Maleficent
- Mitchell Hope as King Ben, son of King Beast and Queen Belle
- Sofia Carson as Evie, daughter of the Evil Queen
- Booboo Stewart as Jay, son of Jafar
- Cameron Boyce as Carlos De Vil, son of Cruella De Vil
- China Anne McClain as Uma, daughter of Ursula
- Thomas Doherty as Harry Hook, son of Captain Hook
- Dylan Playfair as Gil, son of Gaston
- Anna Cathcart as Dizzy Tremaine, daughter of Drizella Tremaine
- Brenna D'Amico as Jane, daughter of Fairy Godmother
- Dianne Doan as Lonnie, daughter of Fa Mulan and Li Shang
- Jedidiah Goodacre as Prince Chad Charming, son of Cinderella and Prince Charming
- Zachary Gibson as Doug, son of Dopey
- Keegan Connor Tracy as Queen Belle, mother of Ben
- Dan Payne as King Beast, father of Ben
- Melanie Paxson as Fairy Godmother, mother of Jane
- Jan Bos as Lumiere, servant and ally to Belle and Beast
- Whoopi Goldberg as Ursula , Mother of Uma (voice only)
- Linda Ko as Lady Tremaine, Grandmother of Dizzy Tremaine
- While still in production, the movie was under the working title The Lair.
- Descendants 2 had a simultaneous premiere on Disney Channel, Disney XD, ABC, FreeForm, Lifetime and Lifetime Movies but not in the UK nor Disney Junior.
- This was the 10th Disney Channel Original Movie to get a sequel after Zenon: The Zequel, Jumping Ship, Halloweentown II: Kalabar's Revenge, The Cheetah Girls 2, Johnny Kapahala: Back on Board, High School Musical 2, Twitches Too, Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam, and Teen Beach 2.
- With the exception of Sarah Jeffery who plays Audrey, all the original cast from the first movie reprise their roles.
- Even though she doesn't appear, Audrey is still mentioned by Chad and Jane.
- The film takes place six months after the events of the first film.
- The boat that was used for the Cotillion has glass windows that features some of the Disney couples, (Belle and Beast), (Cinderella and King Charming), (Ariel and Eric), (Tiana and Prince Naveen), (Rapunzel and Flynn Rider), (Aladdin and Jasmine), (Snow White and The Prince), (Pocahontas and John Smith).
- At the end of the credits, Uma came out from the water and turned around to face the camera saying, "You didn't think this was the end of the story, did you?" In a call back to when Mal said at the end of the first movie, and a hint at a potential Descendants 3 threequel.
- 21 million total viewers (so far) have watched Descendants 2.
- Among the deleted scenes, there was a kiss between Harry Hook and Gil. The scene was cut from the final version. Thomas Doherty posted a picture of the scene on his Instagram account, and the scene was also mentioned in the book.
- This would have been Disney Channel's first LGBT kiss if it wasn't deleted.
- Interestingly, this was China Anne McClain's and Cameron Boyce's first movie together since Grown Ups 2.
- Descendants Sequel Set At Disney Channel
- Everything We Know About Descendants 2 So Far
- Bentley, Jean (September 16, 2016). "Descendants 2 Scoop: Is King Ben Going Bad?". (en-US) E! Entertainment Television.
- Berman, Rachel (2016-09-16). "Wait, What is Happening in This First Look Photo for Descendants 2?". (en-US) Oh My Disney Disney.
- Meet Descendants 2 's Newest Villain Offspring: Captain Hook's Son, Harry
- "Descendants 2 casts Gaston’s son". Entertainment Weekly (August 19, 2016).
- "Drizella's Daughter Has Been Cast in Descendants 2 and She is Adorable". Oh My Disney (August 25, 2016).
- Instagram: Brenna D'Amico post
- Instagram: Dianna Doan post
- Instagram: Jedidiah Goodacre post
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StpcwneSy9A Behind the Scenes First Look of Descendants 2
- Twitter: Keegan Connor Tracy post
- Twitter : Melanie Paxson post