- “Just wait until Uma hears that you're back.”
- ―Harry to Mal
Harry Hook is the secondary antagonist in Descendants 2 and the tertiary antagonist turned supporting character/anti-hero in Descendants 3. He's the son of Captain Hook. A member of Uma's pirate gang, Harry serves as her right-hand man and is always ready to hook someone.
Harry is portrayed by Thomas Doherty.
- 1 Background
- 2 Roles
- 3 Relationships
- 4 Quotes
- 5 Songs
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Trivia
- 8 References
Harry is prideful, sneaky and always ready to hook someone, especially Ben. He prides himself on being wild and unpredictable, off-kilter and a little mad. His only disappointment is the fact that he has to carry a hook with his hands rather than possessing one instead of a hand. On his first appearance, it was clear that, unlike Uma, Harry is comfortable with the fact that Mal and her gang left the Isle for a better life in Auradon; for it left Uma and her crew in a position of power over the Isle's degenerate domain, a position that used to belong to Mal's own gang. This shows a rather low opinion to the outside world on Harry's part.
Harry is a light-skinned brawny guy with dark brown hair. His primary outfit in Descendants 2 is a white ripped tank top, a red sleeveless leather coat, black pants with red ripped details with zippers and dark brown boots. His accessories consist of a black pirate hat with dark golden details, pale feathers and the pirate crew's symbolic pin, a blue headband, a black band, black fingerless gloves, a golden skull ring, red, black and white bracelets, a red belt, a brown skull belt, a dark brown belt with rings, a pocket watch, a sheath for his sword and a fake hook. Plus he sometimes has shadows around his eyes that make him look attractive. In Descendants 3, the back of his jacket has a silver hook embroidered on.
Powers & Abilities
Harry does not possess any special supernatural powers, but he does possess a number of skills, related to navigation and piracy.
- Fencing: Being born as a pirate, Harry is skilled in swordsmanship and was able to keep up in a sword fight against Jay, only conceding to defeat after the latter took the pirate's hook and leveraged it against Harry.
- Sailor: Harry has shown to have a good knowledge of navigation, more than the owner of the ship, who is Uma.
Rise of the Isle of the Lost
In Descendants 2, Harry first appeared walking through the market and to Ursula's Fish and Chips, where the rest of the Lost Revenge's Crew were. When he arrived, he turned on the TV, which it was the news reporting the luxurious life of Mal in Auradon. Jealous, Uma threw food at the screen and ordered the rest of the crew to do the same. Later, Uma and the crew sing and dance "What's My Name".
- Main article: Harry Hook/Relationships
- Main article: Harry Hook/Quotes
- In the Isle of the Lost, there is a character known as Harriet, who is the daughter of Captain Hook. Later on, CJ Hook was introduced as another descendant of Captain Hook in Descendants: Wicked World.
- In the junior novelization of Descendants 2, Harry and Gil share a celebratory kiss.
- .This scene was originally recorded for the movie, but it was cut from the final version.
- Dove Cameron, Thomas Doherty, and Kenny Ortega came up with a "backstory" for Harry and Mal. However, this "backstory" is not mentioned by any of the characters throughout the film but can be perceived through the character's interaction. In this "backstory", it's revealed that Harry and Mal used to date. Dove and Thomas even drew secret hook tattoos under their gloves.
- However, this directly contrasts Descendants where Mal says she doesn't know what love feels like and that they don't date on the Isle. (It's more like a "fanfiction" than a "backstory" that Dove, Thomas, and Kenny jokingly made and should not be taken as canon).
- Interesting enough, this was the start of Dove Cameron and Thomas Doherty's relationship together.
- Despite what Dove Cameron says about Harry and Mal being exes, that never happened in the books and is not confirmed in the movies.
- Harry is part of Uma's pirate gang and is the first mate.
- Harry has a hook on his left hand just like his father.
- It turns out that the hook is fake, and he carries it to pay homage to his father.
- In Rise of the Isle of the Lost: A Descendants Novel, it's revealed that he once tried to entice Tick-Tock to bite his hand so that he could wear a real hook like his father, but the crocodile just opened one eye and went back to sleep.
- He is the second character whose name is Harry. The first is Horace's son Harry.
- Harry possesses a pocket watch, it could belong to his father or a reference to Tick Tock the Crocodile.
- The hook that Harry uses most closely resembles the one in the 1991 film, Hook.
- In Rise of the Isle of the Lost: A Descendants Novel, he told Uma he could be her first "date" if she's lucky.
- This means he could either be teasing her or he's actually interested in her.
- Harry was originally supposed to have an American accent, but his portrayer, Thomas Doherty, refused to do an American accent and did a Scottish accent instead, earning him the role.