Doherty was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, and currently resides in London, England.
Doherty is an actor, singer, dancer, and musician. He recently completed studies in musical theater at the world-class MGA Academy of Performing Arts in Edinburgh, Scotland. He is a trained dancer in a range of styles including contemporary, hip-hop, jazz, and ballet, and also sings and plays guitar.
Doherty made his onscreen debut in the Disney Channel live-action musical drama series, "The Lodge," which premiered on Disney Channel in multiple European territories.
Thomas Doherty stars as "Harry," the swashbuckling son of Captain Hook in Descendants 2, the highly anticipated sequel to the global hit Descendants. A member of Uma's pirate gang, Harry serves as her right-hand man and is always ready to hook someone one way or another.
|2016 - 2017||The Lodge||Sean||Lead role|
|2017||Descendants 2||Harry Hook||Antagonist|
|2019||Descendants 3||Harry Hook||Protagonist|
|2019–2020||Legacies||Sebastian||Recurring role (season 2)|
- He dated his Descendants co-star, Dove Cameron from 2016 to 2020.
- To get into his role as Harry Hook, he would walk around set looking like a madman with hair all over the place and laughing. 
- He was supposed to do an American accent for his character, Harry Hook, but rejected and used his Scottish accent instead. He used Scottish accent instead because it "would be cutting, raw and almost aggressive, especially compared to an American accent." He "also thought it would be a good choice for the character, as Hook’s son.”
- He has a fear of spiders that is shown in a video posted by Disney Channel of him and Booboo Stewart doing a dare.
- He bought a beach-house with Dove in California.
- Both Thomas Doherty and Jedidiah Goodacre have appeared in CW's Legacies, playing the roles of Sebastian and Roman Sienna, but their characters didn't interact. Both of their characters are vampires.